Travel Trends: 2011 saw an increase in number of overseas visits both to and from the UK for the first time since 2006
The Office of National Statistics has produced its annual travel trends. Some of the key points are that in 2011, compared to 2010, there was an increase in the number of overseas visits both to and from the UK for the first time since 2006. also overseas residents made 3.3% more visits to the UK in 2011 compared with 2010, in total stayed for 3.2% more nights and spent 6.5% more money on these visits. Meanwhile UK residents made 2.3%t more visits abroad, but stayed 2% less nights and spent 0.4% less money on these visits in 2011 compared with 2010. Overseas residents made 15.3 million overnight visits to London in 2011, and 13 million to the rest of England in 2011, with about 2.3 million to Scotland and 0.9 million to Wales. Holiday visits abroad grew by 1.1%, business visits rose by 3.1% and visiting friends and family rose 6.9% in 2011. And there is more …
Date: 26 July 2012 (ONS)
Travel Trends is an annual publication providing trends in overseas travel and tourism, based on interviews on the International Passenger Survey (IPS).
Travel Trends 2011: Key Trends
• 2011 saw an increase in number of overseas visits both to and from the UK for the first time since 2006.
• Overseas residents made 3.3 per cent more visits to the UK in 2011 compared with 2010 and in total stayed for 3.2 per cent more nights and spent 6.5 per cent more money on these visits.
• UK residents made 2.3 per cent more visits abroad. However, they stayed for 2.0 per cent less nights and spent 0.4 per cent less money on these visits in 2011 compared with 2010.
• Visits to the UK from each of North America, Europe and Other Countries rose in 2011.
• Similarly, visits for each of the main purposes of visit, holiday, business and to visit friends or relatives, all grew. The rise in holiday visits is a continuation of a trend dating back to 2002, whereas both business visits and those to visit friends or relatives represent some recovery following falls in recent years.
• Overseas residents made 15.3 million overnight visits to London in 2011, an increase of 584,000 (4.0 per cent) from 2010, and spent an estimated £9.4 billion on visits to the Capital.
• Overnight visits to the rest of England grew by 3.4 per cent to 13.0 million in 2011 while those to Scotland and Wales were broadly unchanged at 2.3 million and 0.9 million respectively.
• The average visit abroad by UK residents was shorter haul in 2011 than in 2010. Visits to Europe grew by 3.5 per cent while those to North America grew by 0.4 per cent and those to Other Countries fell by 2.6 per cent.
• Holiday visits abroad grew by 1.1 per cent, business visits by 3.1 per cent and those to visit friends or relatives increased by 6.9 per cent.
• The increase in visits abroad occurred primarily among residents of London, which grew by 5.0 per cent from 11.1 million in 2010 to 11.7 million. Visits abroad by residents of the rest of England and Wales showed smaller increases of less than 1 per cent while visits abroad by residents of Scotland fell by 1.1 per cent.