HACAN’s New Year Quiz
HACAN’s quiz. Test yourself with these 10 questions on Heatthow (mainly). You may be surprised by some of the answers … For example, Who said: “Whatever technological advances in noise and air pollution reduction have been — or will be — made, common sense dictates that the additional 260,000 annual flights facilitated by a third runway would entail a commensurate reduction in the quality of life of many Londoners”.
Looking Back; Looking Forward
1. In what year did David Cameron first say ‘No ifs; no buts; no third runway’?
2. Who said recently that the Airports Commission’s findings are not ‘a biblical tablet of stone’ which everybody has to sign up to?
3. According to the European Commission, how many people live under the Heathrow flight paths?
a). under 100,000;
b). under 300,000;
c). over 700,000?
4. Who told a national newspaper:
“I have been badly let down. When David Cameron said ‘no third runway’ I bought double glazing and a new heating system. Once you have spent your pension, you can’t get it back, can you? I have always voted Conservative but I don’t know next time. If we get [a third runway] I won’t vote for him.”
a). Joan Collins
b). a Harmondsworth resident
c). Owen Jones?
5. Who lost her job as Secretary of State for Transport in 2012 because of her opposition to a 3rd runway at Heathrow?
6. In which city have residents occupied the airport terminal once a week for the last two years?
7. London has more terminating air passengers than any other city in the world. True or False?
8. Name one thing Caroline Lucas, Nigel Farage, John McDonnell and Theresa Villiers have in common?
9. Who said:
“We welcome Sir Howard Davies’ positive approach to airport expansion but any option which involves a move away from a single hub airport would damage the UK’s competitive edge and hit aviation jobs. Losing a single hub airport would lead to global businesses re-assessing their presence in the UK. Employers could relocate their European headquarters to other European nations like France and Germany which maintain single hub airports in Paris and Frankfurt”.
a). Back Heathrow, the pro-Heathrow pressure group
b). The London Chamber of Commerce
c). The Unite trade union?
10. Who said on 18th December, the day after the Airport Commission’s Interim Report was published:
“Whatever technological advances in noise and air pollution reduction have been — or will be — made, common sense dictates that the additional 260,000 annual flights facilitated by a third runway would entail a commensurate reduction in the quality of life of many Londoners”.
a). Boris Johnson, the Mayor of London
b). The leader in The Times
c). The HACAN press release?
3. (c) over 700,000
4. (b) Audrey, a long-standing Harmondsworth resident, the village which would be demolished if a 3rd runway went ahead
5. Justine Greening MP
6. (c) Frankfurt. Every Monday thousands of residents have occupied the terminal in protest against the impact of the 4th runway, opened in October 2011.
8. They all oppose a 3rd runway at Heathrow
9. (c) Unite
10. (b) The Times leader