Industry poll shows some tourism executives want a Heathrow 3rd runway. Non story! Not news!
34% is barely a majority! Without seeing the survey, details of who was questioned, and what questions were asked – as well as what the other 66% voted for, the results of this poll – as reported – do not make a lot of sense. And doesn’t say anything new. Except for more lobbying for a Heathrow 3rd runway …. the lobbying goes on and on … and will continue to do so till the Airports Commission interim report in 2013…. and unless recomends Heathrow, well after that …….
Tourism chiefs back Heathrow expansion, poll claims
Of the 1,300 bosses surveyed, 20% backed the Thames Estuary airport plan favoured by London Mayor Boris Johnson.
It was carried out by the organisers of the World Travel Market event which opens in London on Monday.
The poll comes as Sir Howard Davies begins his government-commissioned work into the UK’s airport needs.
The former Financial Services Authority’s chief report is due in summer 2015.
World Travel Market director Simon Press said: “It is clear that senior travel executives from around the globe are in favour of expanding the UK’s primary airport with a third runway at Heathrow.
“Expanding other airports in south-east England is more popular than building a new airport which suggests that our overseas colleagues think the UK Government should steer clear from an ambitious if expensive solution when there are better options available.”
On Saturday, Prime Minster David Cameron said Mr Johnson was wrong to dismiss a third runway at Heathrow and he will not be given a veto on the issue.
Mr Cameron’s comments come a day after the mayor criticised a commission set up to investigate airport capacity in the UK as too slow.
Mr Cameron told The Times: “In the end the decision is a national decision that the government has to lead.”
It was “not right” he only wanted his preferred options considered, he added.
But Mr Johnson, who opposes expansion of Heathrow, said he felt the decision-making process was too slow and represented a “policy of utter inertia”.
He said the inquiry should not even be considering another runway at Heathrow because the idea was “a complete disaster” and “simply will not happen”.
The government has so far resisted pressure to build a third runway at the London airport – but many businesses have been lobbying for its expansion.
Related BBC Stories
- Boris wrong on Heathrow – Cameron
- Heathrow expansion: The alternatives
- Boris: Get on with airport review
and the Telegraph says:
Poll finds majority backing for third Heathrow runway
Building a third runway at Heathrow is the most popular option for solving the country’s airport capacity, a poll has found.
By David Millward, Transport Editor (Telegraph)
4 Nov 2012
The poll was released within days of Sir Howard Davies, unveiling his Commission which will report just before the next election on how to provide additional airport capacity.
Among holidaymakers, an expanded Heathrow won the support of 28 per cent of respondents, compared with 25 per cent who supported the Estuary scheme.
However support was even stronger among senior figures in the tourism industry with 34 per cent supporting the third runway, 14 per cent more than those in favour of a Thames Estuary airport.
Last week Sir Howard, who has previously headed both the CBI and Financial Services Authority, said all options were back on the table.
These included new runways at Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted – all of which have been ruled out during the current Parliament by the Coalition Agreement.
Should Sir Howard back a third Heathrow runway, he will find himself at odds with Mr Johnson and a number of Tory MPs underneath the flight path, including Angie Bray, Mary Macleod, Justine Greening, the former Transport Secretary and Zac Goldsmith, who has threatened to trigger a by-election if the Government changes its policy.
Privately several Tory MPs have voiced fears that a change of policy could cost the party dear in the next election.
The London Mayor’s opposition to a third runway, which could put him at odds with the Tory hierarchy at the next election, showed no sign of weakening as he condemned the Davies inquiry for even considering it.
The runway was, he said, “a complete disaster” and “simply will not happen”.
But Sir Howard tried to avoid getting drawn into the row. “I observe the political debate swirling around this, but I don’t think it makes sense to get involved in it
“We have been told that all options, including the third runway, are on the table, and for the moment that is where they shall remain,” he told the Observer.